We are off getting married on the beautiful Greek island of Sifnos. See you in 3 weeks :)
Photographs by Tom Radenz
The Church of St. George is one of eleven monolithic churches in Lalibela, a city in the Amhara Region of Ethiopia. Originally named Roha or Warwar, this historical and religious site is currently accepted in the modern name of Lalibela, after King Gebre Mesqel Lalibela of Ethiopia, who is regarded as a saint-like figure by the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church. / Text via Wikipedia, unknown photographer
From the series ‘Vaults’ by photographer David Stephenson in which he beautifully captures cathedral and church ceilings across Europe transforming them into fascinating two dimensional patterns.
The levitating church – 130-year-old exterior of the Provo Tabernacle, Provo, Utah, USA is raised on stilts as work begins to restore it into a Mormon temple after a devastating fire in December 2010 almost destroyed it / © 2013 by Intellectual Reserve
Photos from the interior and exterior of the Ripon Chapel, situated in Oxfordshire. Design by Niall McLaughlin architects. Photos by Dennis Gilbert.
In the interior space the columns meet to form a filigree vault, allowing light from the clerestory to wash through the chapel. Its central feature is a lectern, emphasising the educational function of the space. From the exterior Its elliptical form presents an uncompromising and ‘proper’ architecture at ease with the majestic presence of surrounding mature trees.
Its delicate arboreal structure wrapped in an armature of stone, Ripon Collegeʼs new chapel is a subtle synthesis of nature and the sacred. (via ar)
Convent de Sant Francesc remodeled by architect David Closes is a church located in Santpedor, Spain. Built between 1721 and 1729 by Franciscan priests the church was long abandoned and its convent complex was demolished in 2000. The church renovation began in 2003 and the original building that stood in ruins was enhanced with some modern elements yet the traces of time and wear were preserved as part of the building’s history. The church was turned into an auditorium, cultural space while the upper levels of the chapels are to be turned into a historical archive.